What is Continuing Professional Development (CPD)?
All SAIEG members are required to be registered professionals of SACNASP. SACNASP under the terms of the Natural Professions Act of 2003 is required to register professionals in the field of natural science. Equally important is the requirement to renew their professional registration. SACNASP has developed and implemented a fully-fledged CPD system.
What does this mean? It means that professionals must complete CPD activities over a 5-year cycle to stay compliant and to renew their professional registration.
SAIEG will offer courses, training programmes, conferences and workshops in conjunction with other associated societies so that our members can keep up their CPD points.
- Compulsory Category
- Developmental Activities – Validated CPD courses, training programmes, conferences and workshops
- Presentation of seminars, courses, workshops and papers
- 10 hrs = 1 CPD credit
- Maximum 4 credits per annum
- Work based Activities 400 hrs = 1 CPD Credit
- Maximum 2 credits per annum
- Mentoring 50 hrs = 1 CPD Credit
- Individual Activities
- Membership of a SACNASP recognised Voluntary Association (VA) 1 CPD credit per year
- Other Approved Activities for example part-time lecturing, research, further studies, participation in statutory and professional, institutional, science committees 30 hours = 1 CPD credit
- Maximum 3 credits per annum
How to structure your CPD
You require a total of 25 credits over a 5 year cycle (5 Credits per year).
Below is an example of how to structure your points for one year:
- Category 1
- Attend a CPD validated event = 1 credit
- Category 2
- Go to work = 1 credit
- Be mentor = 1 credit
- Category 3
- Join a VA = 1 credit
- Do other approved activities = 1 credit
If you have any ideas for courses or lectures that could count towards points please contact email@example.com.