Best Engineering & Environmental Geology Student Award
In order to promote the standing of the science of Engineering and Environmental Geology and to promote student membership of the Institute a student prize is awarded. The award consists of a book token as well as a certificate. The following criteria apply:
- The award is to be presented to a student studying in the engineering geological or environmental fields who is either a final year B.Sc., Honours or M.Sc. student. In exceptional circumstances the award may be presented to a person who is not a member.
- The student should have made a significant impression in their chosen field of study either by having presented a paper at a suitable occasion or by having made a significant contribution to research.
The procedure is as follows:
- An annual call for nominations is directed at the relevant academic institutions offering Honours and post graduate courses in Engineering and Environmental Geology.
- These nominations will be forwarded to the SAIEG Council.
- Detailed written motivation is to be given by the head of department of the relevant institution.
- The sub-committee appointed by the SAIEG Council will consider the nominations.
- The decision of the sub-committee will be subject to ratification by the Council.
- Where possible, the award will be presented at an appropriate Institute function.