- This event has passed.
Introduction to Critical State Soil Mechanics
January 21 - January 23
- Stresses and strains in soil.
- Stress invariants and strain invariants.
- Stress paths.
- Compression and shear behaviour of soils.
- The Roscoe and Hvorslev surfaces.
- The Critical State concept.
- The behaviour of sands and development of a flow rule.
- Introduction to plasticity theory, the Cam Clay model.
- Continuum mechanics, constitutive models, compatibility of stresses and strains and development of matrix that satisfies these constraints.
- Implications of applying soil mechanics principles such as effective stress and stiffness to FE analysis.
- Biot coupling and Terzaghi-Rendulic consolidation.
- Drucker’s stability postulate.
- Implementing FE code in geotechnical engineering.
For more information click here.