The South African Institute for Engineering Geologists (SAIEG) was officially constituted on 11 Februrary 1985.
This followed from the early establishment of a South African Section of the North American Association of Engineering Geologists in 1970 and in 1974 the South African National Group of the International Association of Engineering Geology.
SAIEG has gained recognition as a Natural Scientific Association from SACNASP (South African Council for Natural Scientific Professions) View Website
- The promotion and advancement of the profession of Engineering Geology
- The establishment and maintenance of high standards of ethical and professional conduct
- The promotion of education in geology and engineering geology
- Liaison with related organizations
- Distribution of information to members
- The adherence to the principles of Integrated Environmental Management
- The adherence to the principles of sustainable development.
- Striving to protect the environment.
In furtherance of its objectives SAIEG undertakes to:
- Represent and actively promote the profession amongst policy makers, other professional and scientific bodies and the general public
- Hold technical meetings, workshops and conferences to support the continuing education of its members
- Publish guidelines and conference proceedings as well as newsletters
- Have representation on committees and working groups tasked with the advancement or scientific and or public health and safety issues